Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Story of an Elder and an Alarm System

Many of you remember Martina “Dovie” Thrasher because many of you have worked on her home. A while back we put a new roof and new paint on it and did a lot of work in the yard for her. She is a sweet Christian widow who lives just two miles down the road from us. Over the years she has had a lot of trouble with thieves breaking into her home. A few weeks ago she called me at midnight because someone had broken in and she thought they might still be in the house (now imagine me running around her place in my pajamas and boots with a flash light in one hand and a pistol in the other). No one was there, thankfully. It took the cops 45 minutes to respond and then they did nothing. A few days later someone broke in again! Same story. Well, long story short, I wound up installing a motion sensing system that is hooked up to the loudest siren I could find (120 decibels, the equivalent of a jet plane taking off). I’m tempted to install a video surveillance system too so we can see those guys run when that siren goes off!