Monday, July 6, 2009

"How Goes the World" by Mary

There are so many stories to tell of our life on the reservation. I can tell of the work, the teams, the unity of the staff and summer interns, my spiritual journey through recent trials, or interactions with my Native community here. I see so much how we are like sheep. From the pastors who come on the short term teams to the elder whose home is being worked on, we are all prone to wander. How often do I forget my Lord is so near to me and wander off trying to forge my own way! God is the Good Shepherd. He gathers His sheep from near and far through many means. I am His as are the many that come to serve here on this reservation in the summer; but He is also the shepherd gathering many in my community here. In light of His love I go forward, knowing I need a shepherd, knowing there are those right in front of me who need my shepherd too, and He will call to them. He may call through my bumbling words, or through my exhaustion, or in the midst of jump ropes or sidewalk chalk, or even a new roof! The Kingdom comes through our great Shepherd.

Some of the stories on my mind today are answers to the prayers of God’s people. On Tuesday on the Longhouse, more of Buffy’s children came. The oldest daughter Toni, has a one year old baby. She came right in and began talking to me, and she is not a talker! I offered to hold her baby, so she could work in the kitchen serving the food for our crowd of 120 for dinner that night. She was smiling from ear to ear, enjoying her time with Heather and Rebekah. I also had other youth from the rez helping in the dining room, with set up and serving the meal. It sure felt like church to me!

On July 2nd, there was a fire outside of Buffy’s house, the children and the house are safe, but it revealed some of the serious problems in the family. Please keep praying.


We have two sisters who have been coming on Tuesday as well. After the lesson time the children, youth, and adults are divided. These two, Lisa and Lateet, come together and tell each other the Bible Stories they each learned. They are teaching one another the lessons!

The pain that the youth feel often leads them to be self destructive in various ways. They can bring each other “down” so quickly. Stephen has been struggling when hanging out with his friend, so we separated them yesterday. It led to another cross roads with Stephen, who has been a part of our family for most of the past year. The Lord seems to bring Stephen to submission over and over again, but he feels so much pain and hurt in the midst of these trials. We actually moved him out yesterday to show that life with us requires submission to the Lord and family, not coming and going and choosing when to engage. Again, Stephen seems drawn back, but refuses to leave his “friend”. This friend has an arrest warrant issued for him, and will get Stephen into trouble. If God gives Chris and I more time with Stephen, our role will be to lead him to a residential vocational training center. Pray for Stephen’s heart!

The youth continually “check in” with me as the mother figure in their lives also. Angela, who is driving around without a license, gave me the keys of her car to hold; more than that she shares with me the burdens she needs prayer for. Many of these are also being mentored by our staff girls; Veronica, Heather, Emily, and Gretchen. The Kingdom comes through community!